Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Another Hill End / Tambaroora death

Still looking into Hill End and Tambaroora deaths, and found the following.

The Sydney Mail - Apr 6, 1872
A sad accident happened to the wife of Martin Hurst. It seems (says the Hill End Times) her dress became entangled in the cog-wheel of one of the threshing machines, which dragged her into the wheels, badly mangling her, and she is now lying in a very dangerous state. In trying to rescue her, the husband got the small bone of his arm broken. The driver stopped the horses as soon as possible; but the machine being in full swing at the time, he could not succeed before it was too late.

The Sydney Mail - Jul 1, 1876
We have been having magnificent weather of late - clear, cold, and sunny - very cold. It ought to be healthy, and I suppose it is, although the death rate is very high. Eleven deaths were recorded in the first twenty-two days of this month, and there is still much sickness about. Whatever the disease, its course is very rapid. It is called malignant typhus fever. I think it must be more akin to cholera. One pretty little girl I saw playing last Monday, the the enjoyment of complete health, within twenty-four hours the poor little thing was dead. Another little girl at the end of last week is reported to have died in six hours after being attacked. I am told a black vomiting is one of the accompaniments of the disease and that the body very rapidly becomes almost black. This, and the very high price of horse-feed, are the current topics of conversation. Chaff selling at 17s per cwt.

The Sydney Mail - Feb 17, 1877
I regret to say that I have to chronicle another fatal accident this week. It seems very curious that fatal accidents never come singly - I believe I am quite correct in saying never; and the death of poor Lucan, who leaves a wife and family quite unprovided for, is no exception to the rule. At Triamble, a sheep station of Mr. Suttor's, about twelve miles from here, a shpeherd named Vane was riding a buck-jumper, which fell with him, bringing his head with such violence to the ground as to completely smash in one side of it. The poor fellow never regained consciousness, and died shortly after. He is described as a tall, powerful, and exceedingly handsome man, the very perfection of a bushman, a wider whom no horse could throw. All the residents of the station were looking on admiringly at the time of the accident, whilst he was rejoicing in his prowess. How he could have received so violent a fall as to smash up the bones in the way it did no one can explain. He, also, leaves a wife and family unprovided for.

Notes. Death in NSW BDM probably
8852/1877 VANE, WILLIAM, father WILLIAM, mother ANN, HILL END
Burial at Hill End commemorated by modern memorial plaque ( which reads "In memory of William Vane, Shepherd, brother of John Vane, Bushranger. Agee 41 years, 17.6.1836 - 6.2.1877. Accidentally killed by falling from a horse at Triamble. Always remembered".

The Sydney Mail - Mar 23, 1878
HILL END. [From our correspondent]
We had a great number of accidents of late. First, I hear of a miner breaking his leg by falling from a plank; next, I see an unfortunate fellow, named Williams, kicked over the temple by a horse, and apparently killed, though I heard he was recovering. Then I was told of a child at Tambaroora similarly injured; and anon a rumour comes that Peter the German, well known as "Bismarck", had been found dead on the Mudgee Road. On Thursday our Episcopal clergyman, the Rev. J. O'Connor, had a fit, and lay unconscious for some hours. He is by no means out of danger now. At Tambaroora a Mrs. Welch, thirty-nine years of age, riding home with the weekly supplies, was found dead, having fallen from her horse, which remained standing over her. The cause of death is given as sanguineous apoplexy. She leaves ten children. A few days back the remains of an American Negro were found in a cave at the Yellow Bar, on the Turon, by a boy named John Weir, who was out wallaby shooting, and was lead into the cave. The body was completely dried up, and must have been dead for months.

The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser - Saturday 5 March 1881
HILL END. Tuesday. [Herald]. Before Mr. R.R. Moriset P.M., four young men, charged with cutting and wounding a Chinese gardener, at the paling yards, was defending by Mr. Clarke, of Mudgee, and each fined five pounds, or two months imprisonment in Bathurst gaol. The fines were paid.

Inangahua Times (NZ) - 7 October 1885
We learn from the Melbourne Daily Telegraph that when the Noxious Fumes Board sat in Sandhurst, Mr Sneddon, who was one of those who gave evidence, said he had heard of a case in which a man had died through inhaling the fumes of dynamite. Dr. Atkinson doubted this statement, and said he was sure if such a case occured in this district, there would have been an inquest and a record of it in the local papers. At the last meeting of the committee of the Bendigo Miners' Association, the Bendigo Independent reports that Mr David Jones explained that he had told Mr Sneddon of this case. The man who had perisher was William Cook, a brother-in-law of his, and the place where it happened was a mine at Hill End, near Bathurst. The man had inhaled the fumes of some dynamite which had caught fire in an open box in one of the levels and was slowly smouldering away. He inhaled the fumes at a quarter to 3 in the afternoon, was immediately taken ill, and next morning, at 1 o'clock, he was a corpse. It is an unfortunate circumstance that Mr Jones does not know who the doctor was that attended his brother-in-law, but this could surely be ascertained by writing to Bathurst (The Silver Age).

The Sydney Morning Herald. - Nov 16, 1931
LITGOW. The death has occurred at Hill End of Mr. George Cross, aged 82. Mr. Cross was associated with the mining field at Hill End for 50 years and was the last of five brothers who worked on the field.

Note. NSW Death Certificate probably:

18230/1931 CROSS, GEORGE, father CHARLES, mother CAROLINE, HILL END

No comments:

Post a Comment